Tourism, Conventions, and Event Management students participate in TCEM-C 401/TCEM-C 387 Industry Internship as part of their plan of study. To enroll in this course, students must:
- Have taken the prerequisite class, TCEM 301, Career and Leadership Principles
- Be in junior standing with 60 completed credit hours
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 2.0
- Be an admitted student to the TCEM department
- Obtain permission via proposal form from the Director of Internships for TCEM
The TCEM faculty want you to have a rich and rewarding internship experience. We have outlined the following steps to help you plan your internship:
- Consider your course load for the semester you intend to enroll in an internship course. It is highly recommended to take TCEM-C 401 with no more than 12 credit hours. Students are positioned to be most successful in this course when it is taken in a semester of no more than 15 credit hours (including TCEM-C 401). There is no recommended course load for TCEM-C 387.
- Consider organizations for your internship experience. Use the TCEM list of partner organizations as you consider internship opportunities. Organizations on the list have indicated an interest in hosting IUPUI interns and have agreed to be a TCEM partner on the list. You are also certainly welcome to pursue internships at other industry-related organizations as well. The TCEM Buzz, the department e-newsletter, is also a resource for potential internship opportunities.
- Obtain an internship. Contact industry-related organizations and apply for internships. Take great care to check all of your correspondence for spelling and grammatical errors. Our program allows for both paid and non-paid internships. At this time, 300 hours are required for both unpaid and paid internships for TCEM-C 401, and students must be of junior standing with a minimum 2.0 GPA to enroll. Certificate students enrolling in TCEM-C 387 are required to fulfill 100 hours for their internship, paid or unpaid.
- Submit a proposal. Submit a proposal to Amy Vaughan, Director of Internships for TCEM, for review and approval. The proposal application form may be found in Canvas for TCEM-C 387/401 or download the proposal from here. When your proposal is approved, it will be returned to you noting its approval and identifying next steps.
- Confirmation letter. Once a proposal is approved, provide a confirmation letter from the internship supervisor to the Director of Internships for TCEM.
- Register for TCEM-C 387/401. Once approved, you will be able to register for the internship course.
- Internship timeline. Many students complete their TCEM internship in one semester. That is certainly appropriate. We know that in some instances internships may take longer. It is necessary to track hours worked at internship locations.
- Mid-term evaluation. All interns must provide a mid-term evaluation from his/her supervisor to the Director of Internships for TCEM.
- Final evaluation. All interns must also provide a final evaluation form from his/her supervisor to the Director of Internships for TCEM.
- Portfolio. All interns are required to submit a final portfolio to receive a final grade. Portfolio requirements may be found in Canvas TCEM-C 387/401.
For more information, please contact Amy Vaughan, Director of Internships for TCEM.