Tourism, conventions and event management students participate in TCEM-C 401/TCEM-C 387 Industry Internship as part of their plan of study. Flexibility is a hallmark of this experiential learning component of the TCEM curriculum.
The TCEM faculty want you to have a rich and rewarding internship experience. We have outlined the following steps to help you plan your internship:
- TCEM-C 301/pre-internship informational meeting. TCEM-C 301 is a prerequisite for TCEM-C 401 TCEM Internship. Students that have taken TCEM-C 301 are not required to attend a pre-internship informational meeting. Students enrolling in TCEM-C 387 are required to attend a pre-internship informational meeting. At least one meeting is held each month (check the PETM Events Calendar for the next meeting date). After attendance at a pre-internship informational meeting or completion of TCEM-C 301, your name will be added to the Canvas roster for TCEM Internship Info. That will give you access to all internship-related documents.
- Consider organizations for your internship experience. Use the TCEM list of partner organizations as you consider internship opportunities. Organizations on the list have indicated an interest in hosting IUPUI interns and have agreed to be a TCEM partner on the list. You are also certainly welcome to pursue internships at other industry related organizations as well.
- Obtain an internship. Contact industry related organizations and apply for internships. Take great care to check all of your correspondence for spelling and grammatical errors. Our program allows for both paid and non-paid internships. At this time, 300 hours are required for both unpaid and paid internships for TCEM-C 401, and students must be of junior standing with a minimum 2.0 GPA to enroll. Certificate students enrolling in TCEM-C 387 are required to fulfill 100 hours for their internship, paid or unpaid.
- Submit a proposal. Submit a proposal to TCEM’s Director of Internships for review and approval. The proposal application form may be found in Canvas for TCEM-C 387/401 or TCEM Internship Info. When your proposal is approved, it will be returned to you noting its approval and identifying next steps.
- Confirmation letter. Once a proposal is approved, provide a confirmation letter from the internship supervisor to the TCEM Director of Internships.
- Authorization. Get authorization to register for the semester you have designated.
- Register for TCEM-C 387/401. Register for the semester that you have designated.
- Internship timeline. Many students complete their TCEM internship in one semester. That is certainly appropriate. We know that in some instances internships may take longer. As a result, we will give incomplete grades as needed in order to work with students on a longer timeframe. We encourage all TCEM students to complete their internship within one year. It is necessary to track hours worked at internship locations.
- Mid-Term evaluation. All interns must provide a mid-term evaluation from his/her supervisor to the TCEM Director of Internships.
- Final evaluation. All interns must also provide a final evaluation form from his/her supervisor to the TCEM Director of Internships.
- Portfolio. All interns are required to submit a final portfolio in order to receive a final grade. Portfolio requirements may be found in Canvas TCEM-C 387/401.
- Final meeting/exit interview. We have implemented a final meeting/exit interview with the TCEM Director of Internships upon completion of your internship.
For more information, please contact Amy Vaughan, Director of Internships.