Discover the fast-growing field of ecotourism as you spend your spring break in Puerto Rico. From the natural beauty of the tropical rainforest to the rich history of Old San Juan, you'll enjoy the splendor of this Caribbean island while you learn about the ecotourism industry—and earn course credit.
TCEM-T 483 Ecotourism
Ecotourism is responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment, sustains the well-being of the local people, and involves interpretation and education.International Ecotourism Society
Credit hours: 3
In addition to the trip, this course meets three times at IUPUI.
Contact Susan Alvarez for more information about TCEM-T 483 Ecotourism.
As you explore Puerto Rico, you will:
- Hike in El Yunque National Forest, the only tropical rainforest in the U.S. National Forest system, and the Guánica Dry Forest
- Kayak in one of the island's bioluminescent bays
- Snorkel in the fishing village of La Parguera
- Tour Las Cabezas de San Juan Nature Reserve
- Visit Arecibo Observatory, the Tibes Indian Ceremonial Center, and Hacienda Buena Visita, a working coffee plantation
- Tour San Juan, including El Morro and Old San Juan
The approximate cost of the trip is $1,800 per person plus airfare. In addition, IUPUI tuition rates apply.
The trip includes meals for seven days, accommodations for seven nights, and all admission and trip fees.