1866: Founded in New York City as the Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union, preparing instructors for gymnastics societies.
1871–1873: Moved to Chicago and was burned out by the Great Chicago Fire. Moved back to New York for one year, then to Milwaukee.
1873–1907: Expanded curriculum from a four-month certificate program to a one-year, then a two-year, and eventually a four-year degree program.
1907: Settled in Indianapolis.
1941: Merged with Indiana University.
1972: First name change: Became the IU School of Physical Education.
1992: Divided the academic program into three tracks: teacher education, exercise science, and general physical education.
1994: Added two new departments: the Department of Tourism, Conventions, and Event Management and the Department of Military Science.
2003: Changed name to include both academic departments.
2005: Took over management of Camp Brosius.
2011: Added Office of Student Success and full-time advising staff.
2016: Opened multi-million dollar renovation of the PE building.
The School of Physical Education and Tourism Management is now home to more than 40 full-time faculty and staff, serving 900-plus students who may choose from mutilple degree programs and certificates.