IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management - IUPUI
901 W. New York Street, Ste. 250
Ph.D., School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Indiana University, Dissertation Adapted dance–Connecting Mind, Body and Soul
M.S., School of Physical Education and Tourism Management, Indiana University
B.S., School of Physical Education and Tourism Management, Indiana University
Rachel is a Clinical Assistant Professor at IUPUI in the Kinesiology Department where she teaches a variety of exercise science courses, a few dance courses, and a leadership development course at Camp Brosius in Elkhart Lake, WI. She is a firm believer in hands-on learning and involves Service Learning in most of the courses she teaches. She is involved with a service learning program called Physically Active Residential Communities and Schools (PARCS) as well as the INShape IUPUI Program. She also co-directs an adapted dance program for individuals with Down syndrome called Live Laugh Dance.
- HPER-E 100 Zumba
- HPER-L 135 First Year Seminar in Physical Education—Learning Community
- HPER-P 216 Current Concepts and Applications of Physical Fitness
- HPER-P 258 Activities for People with Special Needs
- HPER-P 403 Theory and Practice of Cardiovascular Exercise
- HPER-P 410 Physical Activity Programming for Individuals with Disabilities
- HPER-P 443 Internship in Physical Education
- HPER-R 275 Dynamics of Leadership Development (Camp Brosius Leadership Development Camp, Elkhart Lake, WI)
- Noerr, K. & Swinford, R. (2013) Combining a Cultural Story and Creative Movement into Physical Education. Indiana Journal for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
- Swinford, R.R., Kline, K.L., Plopper, A.S., & Stanton, K.A. (2012). Adapted dance: findings from a dance program for individuals with Down syndrome. Proceedings from the North American Federation of Adapted Physical Activity.
- Swinford R.R., Warden S.J. (2010). Factors affecting short-term precision of musculoskeletal measures using peripheral quantitative computed tomography (pQCT). Osteoporosis International, 21: 1863-1870.
- Meneghini R.M., Smits S., Swinford R., Bahamonde R.E. (2008). A randomized, prospective study of three minimally-invasive surgical approaches in total hip arthroplasty: comprehensive gait analysis. Journal of Arthroplasty, 23(6): 68-73.
- Leadership development for college students.
- Dance for individuals with disabilities.
- Group fitness for individuals with disabilities.
- 2014-Present, Exercise Is Medicine at Work Taskforce, American College of Sports Medicine
- International Association for Worksite Health Promotion
- 2014-Present, Doctoral Dissertation Committee Member, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, Student: Kyra Noerr, Project: Adapted Workout DVDs
- 2008-Present, Dance Council—Member, Indiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- 2011-Present, Volunteer Group Fitness Instructor, The Gathering Place Sports and Fitness
Honors & Awards
- Dance Educator of the Year, Indiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 2015
- STAR Award, Down Syndrome Indiana , 2014
- Teaching Award, IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management, 2014
- Faculty Academic Advisor of the Year, IUPUI, 2013
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2012, 2011
- Swinford, R., Noerr, K., & Kerr, M. (2014). So You Think You Can’t Dance? Think Again! Easy dance an rhythm activities for ALL PE teachers. Presentation, Indiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance State Conference, Indianapolis, IN
- Noerr, K., Streepey, J., Stanton-Nichols, K., & Swinford, R. (2014). Effect of an Adapted Dance Program on Young Adults with Down Syndrome. Presentation, North America Federation of Adapted Physical Activity, Ann Arbor, MI
- Swinford, R. & Noerr, K. (2014). Live Laugh Dance Program for Individuals with Down Syndrome. Presentation, National Down Syndrome Congress National Conference, Indianapolis, IN
- Sermersheim, M, Stanton-Nichols, K, & Swinford, R. (2014). Outcomes of Individualized Personal Training Programs for Three Adult Siblings with Autism. Poster Presentation, National Council on Undergraduate Research, Lexington, KY
- Plopper, A., Swinford, R. & Urtel, M. (2014). Camp Brosius Leadership Development Program. Innovative Practices Poster Presentation, Association of Leadership Educators National Conference, San Antonio, TX
- Swinford, R. & Plopper, A. (2013). Camp Brosius Leadership Development Camp: A 360 Degree Assessment of Leadership Skills. Poster Presentation, Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN | Bradley, J., Plopper, A., Swinford, R. (2013). Our Students Experience the Adventure of Leadership. Presentation & Poster Presentation, E.C. Moore Symposium on Excellence in Teaching, Indianapolis, IN
- Swinford, R., Noerr, K., & Kerr, M. (2013). Adapted Dance: Creative Movement for All! Presentation, Indiana Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance State Conference, Indianapolis, IN