IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management - IUPUI
901 W. New York Street, Ste. 250
- Ph.D., Indiana University
- M.S., Indiana University
- B.S., Indiana University
Dr. Pierce arrived at IUPUI in 2013 after spending six years at Ball State University. Dr. Pierce has published over 50 peer reviewed manuscripts, presented over 60 times at academic conferences, and secured over 20 grants grants and contracts. His research is focused on sport sales and issues in sport management education. Pierce employs experiential learning in his classes. Notable successes at IUPUI include sales projects with the Indiana Pacers and Indianapolis Indians, in addition to students volunteering with the Indiana Sports Corporation for events such as the Final Four in the Introduction to Sport Management class. During his time at Ball State Pierce served as the sport management program director for four years, associate chair for undergraduate programs in kinesiology for two years, and President's Fellow for immersive learning in the College of Applied Science and Technology for one year. Pierce served as the play-by-play radio voice of the Marian University football team for six years, and was on the call for the team’s NAIA national championship victory in 2012. Pierce received three degrees in sport management from Indiana University in Bloomington between 1999 and 2007. Pierce lives in Fishers, Indiana, with his two children and wife, Sara.
- HPER-P 211 Introduction to Sports Management
- HPER-P 426 Sales Management in Sports
- Pierce, D., & Petersen, J. (2015). Integrating an experiential client-based ticket sales center into a sport sales course. Sport Management Education Journal, 9, 66-72.
- Pierce, D., Johnson, J., Felver, N., Wanless, E., & Judge, L. (2014). Influence of volunteer motivations on satisfaction for undergraduate sport management students. Global Sport Business Journal, 2(2), 63-72.
- Pierce, D., Wanless, E., & Johnson, J. (2014). Assessing outcomes of a realistic major preview in an introductory sport management course. SCHOLE, 29(1), 60-74.
- Pierce, D., Lee, D., & Petersen, J. (2014). Sport sales personnel perceptions of factors impacting job performance: A factor analysis of sport sales activities. International Journal of Sport Management, 15(1), 71-90.
- Pierce, D., Petersen, J., Clavio, G., & Meadows, B. (2012). Content analysis of sport ticket sales job announcements. Sport, Business and Management: An International Journal, 2(2), 137-155.
- Pierce, D., Petersen, J., & Meadows, B. (2011). Authentic assessment of experiential learning in sport sales. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 20(2), 75-83.
- Sport sales
- Sport management education
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Sport Management Education Journal Editorial Board Member
- 2016 Sport Marketing Association conference organizing committee
Honors & Awards
- 2015 Indiana AHPERD Sport Management Educator of the Year
- 2011 Indiana AHPERD Young Professional of the Year
- 2012 Sport Marketing Association Professional Paper of the Year
Grants & Funding
- 2014 North American Society for Sport Management Janet B. Parks Research Grant
- 2013 Sport Marketing Association Research Grant Award
- Pierce, D., & Irwin, R. (2014, October). Sport sales competency assessment model. Presented at the 2014 Sport Marketing Association Conference. Philadelphia, PA.
- Pierce, D., Johnson, J., Krohn, B., & Judge, L. (2014, April). Who should we hire: Examining coaching succession in Division, women’s basketball. Presented at the 2014 Scholarly Conference on College Sports, Columbia, SC.
- Pierce, D., Petersen, J., & Lee, D. (2014, April). Sales performance in professional sport organizations. Presented at the 2014 American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Pierce, D., Johnson, J., & Wanless, E. (2014, February). Effect of a field experience assignment in an introductory sport management course. Presented at the 2014 Global Sports Business Association, Nassau, Bahamas.
- Pierce, D., Petersen, J., Lawrence, H., & Johnson, J. (2013, October supplement). Selling the best suites in the house: Content analysis of premium sales position announcements. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 22, 40.
- Pierce, D., Petersen, J., & Lee, D. (2012, October supplement). Sport sales job activities and job performance: A factor analysis. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 21, A22.
Hilltop Sports volunteer at Northview Church—Carmel, IN