IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management - IUPUI
901 W. New York Street, Ste. 250
- Ph.D., Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at Dallas
- M.S., Physical Education, University of Michigan
- B.S., Biology, Texas A&M University
Dr. Mikesky is a professor in the Department of Kinesiology in the School of Physical Education and Tourism Management at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). He is also affiliated with the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences the School of Medicine (Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy the Center for Aging Research Excellence and the Center for Translational Musculoskeletal Research at IUPUI. Since 1991 he has been director of the Human Performance and Biomechanics Laboratory and has been a research associate for the Human Performance Laboratory at the National Institute for Fitness and Sport. Dr. Mikesky has been the recipient of several campus and school teaching awards has been recognized for his work with the Diversity Scholars Undergraduate Research Program at IUPUI and received fellowship status within his profession’s most recognized organization (i.e. the American College of Sports Medicine). He has also published two books serves as invited reviewer for several recognized professional journals and has served as a consultant for collegiate national or professional sports organizations. He has been successful in grantsmanship and his research has resulted in over 80 peer-reviewed abstracts and publications. His most current research interest involves investigating the effects of resistance training combined with blood flow restriction (i.e. KAATSU training).
- Journal Publications:
- Mikesky, A.E., A. Meyer, and K.L. Thompson. (2000) Relationship between quadriceps strength and rate of loading during gait in women. Journal of Orthopaedic Research. 18(2):171-175.
- Mikesky, A.E. and R. Bahamonde. (2001) Can exercise prevent or lessen the impact of arthritis? In: Strengthening and Vigor Through Life, Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Clinics of North. 10(2):265-277.
- Mikesky, A.E., R. Bahamonde, K. Stanton, T. Alvey, and T. Fitton. (2002) Acute effects of "The Stick" on strength, power, and flexibility. Journal Strength and Conditioning Research. 16(3): 321-480.
- Thompson, K.R., A.E. Mikesky, R. Bahamonde, and D. Burr. (2003) Effects of physical training on proprioception in older women. Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interaction. 3(3): 223-231.
- Damush, T.M., S.M. Perkins, A.E. Mikesky, M. Roberts, and J. O'Dea. (2005) Motivational factors influencing older adults diagnosed with knee osteoarthritis to join and maintain an exercise program. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 13: 45-60.
- Mikesky, A.E. and M.W. Hayden. (2005) Effect of static magnetic therapy on recovery from delayed onset muscle soreness. Physical Therapy in Sport. 6(4): 188-194.
- Riskowski, J.L., A.E. Mikesky, R.E. Bahamonde, T.V. Alvey, and D.B. Burr. (2005) Proprioception, gait kinematics, and rate of loading during walking: Are they related? Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interactions. 5(4): 379-387.
- Mikesky, A.E., S.A. Mazzuca, K.D. Brandt, S.M. Perkins, T. Damush, and K.A. Lane. (2006) Effects of strength training on the incidence and progression of knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis, Care, and Research. 55(5): 690-699.
- Fujita, S., A. Mikesky, Y. Sato, & T. Abe. (2008) Fatigue characteristics during maximal concentric leg extension exercise with blood flow restriction. International Journal KAATSU Training Research. 3:27-31.
- Bahamonde, R.E., M. DeWitt and A.E. Mikesky. (2009) Effects of Acute Exercise on Skinfold Measurements. International Journal of Fitness. 5(1):19-24.
- Riskowski, J.L., A.E. Mikesky, R.E. Bahamonde, and D.B. Burr. (2009) Design, Construction, and Validation of a Knee Brace with Feedback. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 131(8): 084503-084509. DOI: 10.1115/1.3148858
- Streepey, J.W., M.J. Mock, J.L. Riskowski, R. VanWye, B. Vitvitskiy, and A.E. Mikesky. (2010) Effects of Quadriceps and Hamstrings PNF Stretching on Knee Movement Sensation. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 24(4):1037-1042.
- Weatherholt, A, M. Beekley, S. Greer, M. Urtel, and A. Mikesky. (2013) Modified KAATSU training: adaptations and subject perceptions. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 45(5):952-961.
- Mikesky, A.E. (2013) Cross-Over Muscular Adaptation to Blood Flow Restricted Exercise. Letter. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 45(5):1019.
- Wang, H.L, J.F. Keck, M.T. Weaver, A. Mikesky, K. Bunnell, J. Buelow, and S.M. Rawl. (2013) Shoulder pain, functional status, and health-related quality of life after head and neck cancer surgery. Rehabilitation Research and Practice. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/601768. 10 pages.
- Bahamonde, R., J. Streepey, L. Goyke, A. Myer, and A. Mikesky. (2014) Energy Return of Different Shapes of Track Spikes. 32nd International Conference of Biomechanics in Sports. International Society of Biomechanics in Sport. https://ojs.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/view/5970
- Segal, N.A., G.N. Williams, M.C. Davis, R.B. Wallace, and A.E. Mikesky. (2015) Efficacy of Blood Flow-Restricted, Low-Load Resistance Training in Women with Risk Factors for Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 7:376-384.
- Ozaki, H., T. Abe, A.E. Mikesky, A. Sakamoto, S. Machida, and H. Naito. (2015) Physiological stimuli necessary for muscle hypertrophy. Journal of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine. 4(1):43-51.
- Segal, N.A., M. Davis, R.B. Wallace, and A. Mikesky. (2015) Efficacy of Blood Flow Restricted Low Load Resistance Training for Quadriceps Strengthening in Men at Risk for Symptomatic Knee Osteoarthritis. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation.
- Fink, H.H. and A.E. Mikesky. 2015. Practical Applications in Sports Nutrition, 4th edition, Jones and Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA.
- Mikesky, A., K. Mikesky, and L. Getchell. (2008) “Physical Fitness: A Way of Life”, 6th edition, Cooper Publishing Group, Traverse City, MI.
- Low-load, resistance exercise combined with blood flow restriction (i.e., KAATSU training)
- Applications of resistance training in healthy aging and various clinical conditions
- Fitness & Sport innovations
Honors & Awards
- IUPUI Walt Lienert Teaching Award, Department of Physical Education, 2008
- 21 Club, University College, IUPUI, 2007
- Congressional Commendation, Diversity Scholars Research Program, 2005
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, School of Physical Education and Tourism Management, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997
- T. Terkhorn and A.E. Mikesky. (2006). Reliability of Proprioceptive Testing of the Knee. 20th National Conference on Undergraduate Research, University of North Carolina, Ashville, NC
- Riskowski, J., Mikesky, A., Bahamonde, R., Alvey, T. & Burr, D. (2006) Proprioception and Rate of Loading in Walking. Midwest American Society of Biomechanics: Graduate Student Biomechanics Symposium, University of Milwaukee, WI.
- Mock, M., J. Streepey, J. Riskowski, R. VanWye, B. Vitvitskiy, & A. Mikesky. (2008). Effects of Quadriceps and Hamstrings PNF Stretching on Knee Proprioception. Med. Sci. Sports and Exerc. (Suppl) 40(5): Abstract #1258, S167.
- Riskowski, J.L., A.E. Mikesky, R.E. Bahamonde, and D.B. Burr. (2009) Training effects of a gait monitoring knee brace with auditory feedback. Journal of Orthopaedic Research.
- Ogasawara, R., M. Sugaya, M. Sakamaki, S. Fujita, H. Ozaki, T. Yasuda, Y. Sato, A.E. Mikesky, A. Takashi. (2009). Change in Temperature of Active Muscle During Low-Intensity Resistance Exercise with Blood Flow Restriction. Med. Sci. Sports and Exerc. (Suppl) 41(5):Abstract #2835, S475.
- Dilts, S., D.C. Ang, J.W. Streepey, R.E. Bahamonde, A.E. Mikesky, A.S. Kaleth. (2013). Effects of Vibration Exercise Training on Clinical Outcomes and Muscular Strength in Patients with Fibromyalgia. Med. Sci. Sports and Exerc. (Suppl) Meek, A., A. Heavrin, N.A. Segal, A.E. Mikesky. (2014). KAATSU Cuff Tightness and Limb Anthropometry: Effect on Blood Flow Restriction. Med. Sci. Sports and Exerc. 46(5S):Abstract #3006.
- Segal, N.A., A.E. Mikesky. (2014) Assessment of Efficacy of Partial Blood Flow Restriction Low-Load Resistance Training for Quadriceps Strengthening in Men at Risk for Knee Osteoarthritis. Med. Sci. Sports and Exerc. 46(5S):Abstract #3322.