IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management - IUPUI
901 W. New York Street, Ste. 250
- Ph.D, Health Promotion with an interdisciplinary minor in Gerontology, Department of Health and Kinesiology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 2011, Dissertation: The combined effects of body mass index and physical activity on healthcare expenditures in adults ages 45 to 64
- M.Ed., Physical Education (Exercise Science specialization), Department of Health and Physical Education, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH, 1979, Thesis: The energy cost of cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- B.A. (Cum Laude), Physical Education, Mount Union College, Alliance, OH, 1978
- HPER-P 409 Basic Physiology of Exercise
- HPER-P 215 Principles and Practice of Exercise Science
- HPER-P 374 Basic Electrocardiography for the Exercise Sciences
- HPER-P 417 Physical Activity and Disease: Prevention and Treatment
- HPER-P 419 Fitness Testing and Interpretation
- HPER-P 420 Exercise Leadership and Program Design
- HPER-K 533 Advanced Theories of High-Level Performance
- HPER-P 560 Corporate Fitness and Wellness
- Lin, X., Zhang, X., Guo, G., Roberts, C. K., McKenzie, S., Wu, C., Liu, S. and Song, Y. (2015). Effects of exercise training on cardio-respiratory fitness and biomarkers of cardio-metabolic health: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Journal of the American Heart Association. (in press)
- McKenzie, S. (2007, revised and updated 2013). Purdue Extension Consumer and Family Sciences Web Publication CFS-738-W, Healthy exercises for every body. Available at: https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HHS/HHS-738-W.pdf
- Avery, G. H., Leonard, K. E. & McKenzie, S. P. (2010). Economic Implications of Preventive Care in Y Yih (Ed.) Handbook of healthcare delivery systems (pp. 28-1 – 28-15). London: CRC Press—A Taylor & Francis Company
I am interested in investigating the role of physical activity and physical fitness in improving population health. Of particular interest are the relative roles of planned physical activity versus avoidance of sedentary behavior in relation to health maintenance and improvement.
I am currently Coordinator of the Department of Kinesiology's Center for Physical Activity in Wellness and Prevention.
- McKenzie, S. Lecture on Sports Nutrition in F&N 105 (a course for first year Nutrition Science majors) at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana.
- McKenzie, S. and Richey, K. Healthy Body Image: A Program for Middle School and High School Students (and their parents grandparents or other adult group leaders) one hour workshop at the Priester National Extension Health Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- McKenzie, S. Reducing Your Cardiovascular Disease Risks presented at the 2009 Indiana Consumer and Family Sciences Health Educator Update, Grissom Air Force Base, Indiana.