901 W. New York Street
- Ph.D., Health and Human Performance, University of Florida, 2016
- M.S., Park, Recreation and Tourism Management, Clemson University, 2012
- B.S., Tourism Management, Sun Yat-sen University, 2010
Dr. Liu-Lastres serves as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Tourism, Conventions, and Event Management in the School of Physical Education and Tourism Management at IUPUI. Her main research interests include risk and crisis communication/management in tourism and hospitality, tourist safety and security, social media in tourism and hospitality, and tourism management. The goal of Dr. Liu-Lastres’s research agenda is to promote safe travel and to ensure the health and well-being of tourists, organizations, and other key stakeholders within the tourism and hospitality industry.
- TCEM-T 107 Tourism Planning & Development
- Liu, B., Schroeder, A., Pennington-Gray, L., & Farajat, S. A. (2016). Source market perceptions: How risky is Jordan to travel to?. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 5(4), 294-304. Doi: 10.1016/j.jdmm.2016.08.005.
- Liu, B., Pennington-Gray L., & Krieger J. (2016). Tourism Crisis Management: Can the Extended Parallel Process Model be used to understand crisis responses in the cruise industry? Tourism Management, (55), 310-321. Doi: 10.1016/j.tourman.2016.02.021.
- Liu, B., Kim, H., & Pennington-Gray, L (2015). Responding to the Bed Bug Crisis in Social Media. International Journal of Hospitality Management, (48), 76-84. Doi:10.1016/j.ijhm.2015.03.005.
- Liu, B., & Pennington-Gray, L (2015). Bed bugs bite the hospitality industry? A framing analysis of bed bug news coverage. Tourism Management, (48), 33-42. Doi: 10.1016/j.tourman.2014.10.020.
- Liu, B., Pennington-Gray, L, Donohoe H., & Omodior, O. (2015). New York City Bed Bug Crisis as Framed by Tourists on TripAdvisor. Tourism Analysis: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 20(2), 243-250.
- Liu, B., Norman, W. C., & Pennington-Gray, L. (2013). A flash of culinary tourism: An exploratory study of online food photography and people’ travel planning process on Flickr. Journal of Tourism Culture & Communication, 13(1), 5-18.
- Risk and Crisis Communication/Management in Tourism and Hospitality
- Health Communication in the Context of Tourism and Hospitality
- Tourist/Destination Safety and Security
- Social Media in Tourism and Hospitality
Honors & Awards
- First Place in 2017 ICHRIE Research Reports Competition, International Council on Hospitality, Restaurant and Institutional Association (2017).
- J. Desmond Slattery Research Award, the Travel and Tourism Research Association (2016).
- NTA Luray Caverns Graduate Research Grant Recipient, Tourism Cares Organization (2015).
- SETTRA2012 Research Grant Recipient, SETTRA (2011).