IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management - IUPUI
901 W. New York Street, Ste. 250
- Post-doc, Exercise and Aging, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 1987-1989
- Ph.D., Exercise Physiology, University of Texas, Austin, TX 1986
- M.S., Biology (Exercise Physiology), Ball State University, Muncie, IN 1983
- B.S. (Cum Laude), Biology and Chemistry, Ball State University, Muncie, IN 1981
Andrew R. Coggan, Ph.D., is an internationally recognized exercise physiologist. He has published numerous scientific articles on the physiological responses and adaptations to acute and chronic exercise in healthy untrained individuals, athletes, the elderly, and various patient populations (e.g., persons with heart failure). These studies have been cited more than 5,500 times in the scientific literature, with 17 of them achieving Citation Classic status (i.e., cited more than 100 times apiece). A former national-caliber masters cyclist and TT record holder, Dr. Coggan is also widely recognized as one of the leading experts on the use of bicycle-mounted power meters. In 2006, he was honored for his applied sports science efforts with USA Cycling’s Sport Science Award and by being named as one of three Finalists for the US Olympic Committee’s Doc Councilman Award.
- HPER-P 409 Basic Physiology of Exercise
- HPER-K 535 Physiologic Basis of Human Performance
- Zheng J, Hasting MK, Zhang X, Coggan AR, An H, Snozek D, Curci J, Mueller MJ. A pilot study of regional perfusion and oxygenation in calf muscles of individuals with diabetes with a noninvasive measure. J Vasc Surg 2014; 59:419-426. PMCID: PMC4114721.
- Bashir A, Coggan AR, Gropler RJ. In vivo creatine kinase reaction kinetics at rest and stress in type II diabetic rat heart. Physiol Rep 2015; 3:e12248, doi: 10.14814/phy2.12248. PMCID: PMC4387746.
- Peterson LR, Herrero P, Coggan AR, Kisrieva-Ware Z, Saeed I, Dence C, Koudelis D, McGill JB, Lyons MR, Dávila-Román VG, Waggoner AD, Gropler RJ. Type 2 diabetes, obesity, and gender affect the fate of glucose in the human heart. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2015; 308:H1510-H1516. PMCID: PMC4469879.
- Coggan AR, Leibowitz JL, Kadkhodayan A, Thomas DT, Ramamurthy S, Anderson Spearie C, Waller S, Farmer M, Peterson LR. Effect of acute dietary nitrate intake on knee extensor speed and power in healthy men and women. Nitric Oxide 2015; 48:16-21. PMCID: PMC4362985.
- Coggan AR, Leibowitz JL, Anderson Spearie C, Kadkhodayan A, Thomas DP, Ramamurthy S, Mahmood K, Park S, Waller S, Farmer M, Peterson LR. Acute dietary nitrate intake improves muscle contractile function in patients with heart failure: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Circ Heart Fail 2015; 8:914-920. PMCID: PMC4573847.
- Airhart S, Cade WT, Jiang H, Coggan AR, Racette SB, Korenblat K, Anderson Spearie C, Waller S, O’Conner, R, Bashir A, Ory DS, Schaffer, JE, Novak MS, D Dávilla-Román VG, Javidan-Nejad C, Peterson LR. A rich in medium chain fatty acids improves systolic function and alters the lipodomic profile patients with type 2 diabetes: a pilot study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2016; 101:504-512. PMCID: PMC4880128.
- Cedars A, Saef J, Peterson LR, Coggan AR, Novak EL, Kemp D, Ludbrook PA. Ambrisentan in Fontan patients improves exercise capacity (AFIX). Am J Cardiol. 2016; 117:1524-1532. PMCID: PMC Journal - In Process.
- Rimer EG, Peterson LR, Coggan AR, Martin JC. Acute dietary nitrate supplementation increases maximal cycling power in athletes. Int J Sports Physiol Perf 2015 Dec 2. doi: 10.1123/ijspp.2015-0533. [Epub ahead of print]. PCMID:PMC4889556.
- Zheng J, Muccigrosso D, Zhang X, Hongyu A, Coggan AR, Bashir A, Hildebolt C, Vemuri C, Geraghty P, Hastings MK, Mueller MJ. Oximetric angiosome imaging in diabetic feet. J Magn Reson Imaging 2016 Mar 10. doi: 10.1002/jmri.25220. [Epub ahead of print].
- Kadkhodayan A, Lin CH, Coggan AR, Herrero P, Kisrieva-Ware Z, Schechtman KB, Novak EL, Josesh SM, Dávila-Román VG, Gropler RJ, Dence C, Peterson LR. Sex affects myocardial blood flow and fatty acid substrate metabolism in humans with nonischemic heart failure. J Nucl Cardiol 2016 Apr 5. doi: 10.1007/s12350-016-0467-6. [Epub ahead of print].
- Exercise Physiology
- Skeletal Muscle
- Heart Failure
- Dietary Nitrate
Honors & Awards
- 1977-1981 Whitinger Scholar, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
- 1984-1985 University Recruitment Fellowship, University of Texas, Austin, TX
- 1986 American College of Sports Medicine Regional Chapter New Investigator Award
- 1990 Elected Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine
- 1992 American College of Sports Medicine National New Investigator Award
- 2001 Cottman International Visiting Professor, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2006 USA Cycling Sport Science Award
- 2006 Finalist, United States Olympic Committee Doc Councilman Award
Grants & Funding
- 1990-1991 Free Fatty Acid Availability on Plasma Glucose Kinetics during Exercise, National Center for Research Resources, $22,456. Principal investigator.
- 1991-1992 Aging, Endurance Training, and Muscle Metabolism during Exercise, University Seed Grant, The Ohio State University Research Foundation, $13,500. Principal investigator.
- 1991-1993 Effects of Aging on Regulation of Overload-induced New Muscle Fiber Formation and Myosin Expression, American Federation for Aging Research, $35,560. Co-investigator (PI-SE Always).
- 1993-1994 Regulation of Hepatic Glucose Production during High Intensity Exercise, John Seal Memorial Endowment Fund, $14,450. Principal investigator.
- 1993-1999 Exercise, Lipolysis, and Fat Oxidation, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive, and Kidney Diseases, $840,630. Co-investigator (PI-RR Wolfe).
- 1995-1997 Dietary Energy Requirements in Physically Active Men and Women, U.S. Army Women’s Research Defense Initiative, $2,128,848. Consultant (PI-AB Loucks).
- 1996-1997 Aging and Skeletal Muscle Fatty Acid Metabolism, Sealy Center on Aging, $4,000. Principal investigator.
- 1997-1998 Aging and Skeletal Muscle Fatty Acid Metabolism, University of Texas Small Grants Program, $12,500. Principal investigator.
- 1997-2001 Long Term Administration of Testosterone in Elderly Men, National Institute on Aging, $1,099,830. Co-investigator (PI-RJ Urban).
- 1997-2001 Aging and Skeletal Muscle Fatty Acid Metabolism, National Institute on Aging, $441,080. Principal investigator.
- 1998-1999 Effect of Gender on Substrate Utilization during Submaximal Exercise, National Center for Research Resources, $34,211. Principal investigator.
- 2000-2005 Exercise for Elderly Peripheral Revascularized Patients, National Institute on Aging, $770,620. Co-investigator (PI-AW Gardner).
- 2001-2006 Race, Menopause, and Metabolism after Exercise and Diet, National Institute on Aging, $2,050,940. Co-investigator (PI-AS Ryan).
- 2002-2009 PET Quantification of Myocardial Substrate Metabolism, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, $2,894,919. Co-investigator (PI-RJ Gropler).
- 2007-2008 Anaerobic and Performance Adaptations to a Living High-Training Low Approach Using Simulated Altitude Exposure, USA Swimming, $7,500. Co-investigator (PI-SJ McGregor).
- 2011-2012 MRI Methods for the Assessment of Skeletal Muscle Oxygenation, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology Center for Clinical Imaging, $4,599. Co-investigator (PI-J Zheng).
- 2011-2012 Novel ACC inhibitors, Pfizer Inc., $376,721. Co-investigator (PI-RJ Gropler).
- 2011-2012 Proposal to Develop and Validate a Noninvasive Method to Quantify Hepatic Fatty Acid and Glucose Metabolism, Pfizer Inc., $1,699,609. Co-investigator (PI-RJ Gropler).
- 2011-2012 Dietary Nitrates for Heart Failure, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology Center for Clinical Imaging Research, $20,000. Principal investigator (MPI-LR Peterson).
- 2013-2014 Dietary Nitrates for Heart Failure, Washington University Institute of Clinical and Translational Sciences, $50,000. Principal investigator (MPI-LR Peterson).
- 2014-2016 Characterization of Microcirculatory Function in Diabetic Leg and Foot with MRI, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, $201,237. Co-investigator (PI-J Zheng).
- 2015-2017 Dietary Nitrate - A Novel Treatment for Patients with Diabetes and Heart Failure, Washington University Diabetes Research Center, $100,000. Principal investigator.
- 2016-2017 Dietary Nitrate Affects Perfusion in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction, Washington University Institute of Clinical and Translational Sciences, $49,661. Principal investigator.
- 1991 5th Annual Meeting on Perspectives in Exercise Science and Sports Medicine: Energy Metabolism in Exercise and Sport, St. Johns, Bermuda. "Effect of diet on substrate metabolism during exercise."
- 1992 American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting New Investigator Award Presentation, Dallas, TX. “Isotopic estimation of CO2 production during exercise before and after endurance training.”
- 1994 American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, IN. “Effect of endurance training on plasma glucose metabolism during exercise.”
- 1994 9th International Conference on the Biochemistry of Exercise, Aberdeen, Scotland. “Effect of endurance training on glucose metabolism during exercise: stable isotope studies.”
- 1994 National Institute on Aging Workshop on Sarcopenia, Warrenton, VA. “Muscle biopsy as a tool in the study of aging.”
- 1995 American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN. “Interaction of fat and carbohydrate metabolism during exercise: effect of endurance training.”
- 1995 American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL. “Carbohydrate consumption during exercise always enhances performance.”
- 1997 Experimental Biology 97 Meeting, New Orleans, LA. “The glucose crossover concept is not an important new concept in exercise metabolism.”
- 1998 12th Annual Meeting on Perspectives in Exercise Science and Sports Medicine: The Metabolic Bases of Performance in Sport and Exercise, Durango, CO. "Effects of gender and aging on substrate metabolism during exercise."
- 1999 6th International Tutorial Conference of the Research Group on Biochemistry of Exercise: Metabolic Aspects of Human Nutrition at Rest and During Physical Stress, Maastricht, The Netherlands. “Use of stable isotopes to study carbohydrate and fat metabolism as the whole-body level.”
- 2001 Cottman International Visiting Professor Award Lecture, Monash University School of Medicine, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. “Stable isotope studies of carbohydrate and fat metabolism during exercise.”
- 2002 USA Cycling Seminar, Philadelphia, PA. “Power-based training.”
- 2004 USA Cycling 1st Biennial International Cycling Summit, Colorado Springs, CO. “Training with power: a physiologist’s view.”
- 2005 Pan American Sports Organization International Coaching Seminar, hosted by USA Cycling on behalf of the United States Olympic Committee, Colorado Springs, CO. “The individual pursuit: demands and preparation.”
- 2006 Endurance Sports Science Conference, Birmingham, England. “Making sense out of apparent chaos: analyzing data from on-bike powermeters.”
- 2006 USA Cycling 2nd Biennial International Cycling Summit, Colorado Springs, CO. “The Performance Manager.”
- 2006 USA Cycling 2nd Biennial International Cycling Summit, Colorado Springs, CO. “Track applications of a powermeter.”
- 2006 American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Denver, CO. “Making sense out of apparent chaos: analyzing data from on-bike powermeters.”
- 2007 UK Sport Seminar on High Performance, Birmingham, England. “Quantifying training load.”
- 2010 USA Cycling 4th Biennial International Cycling Summit, Colorado Springs, CO. “Aerodynamic testing without a wind tunnel: from the simple to the sublime.”
- 2016 14th Biennial Advances in Skeletal Muscle Biology in Health and Disease Conference, Gainesville, FL. “Dietary nitrate and muscle speed and power in humans.”
- 2016 6th Annual Meeting of the Indiana Physiological Society, Greencastle, IN. “Popeye: right for the wrong reason?” (Keynote Address)
- 2016 Experimental Biology 2016 meeting, San Diego, CA. “Dietary nitrate (NO3 -)-induced increases in skeletal muscle contractile function: high versus low responders.” (Translational Physiology Showcase Featured Topic)