IU School of Physical Education and Tourism Management - IUPUI
901 W. New York Street, Ste. 250
- Ph.D., Human Performance, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 1994
- M.S., Biomechanics and minor in Anatomy, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN, 1981
- B.A., Physical Education (Biomechanics Exercise Science) and Spanish, DePauw University, Greencastle, IN, 1980
Dr. Bahamonde has a Ph.D. in Human Performance in sport Indiana University, Bloomington. Dr. Bahamonde's research interests are in sport and clinical biomechanics, gait analysis, injury prevention and sport equipment testing. He is the Interim Dean of the School of Physical Education and Tourism Management and a Professor in the Department of Kinesiology at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis. He is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and International Society for Biomechanics in Sports (ISBS). Dr. Bahamonde has been involved in the promotion of the undergraduate research and the advancement of the underrepresented minorities in higher education. He was the Director of the Diversity Scholars Research Program at IUPUI (DSRP) and has been involved as a mentor in programs such as LSAMP, McNairs, UROP, SROP, and HBCU. He is a member of the leadership team of Louis Stokes Midwest Center for Excellence and the recent NIH IUPUI Graduate Preparation for the Biomedical and Behavioral Sciences. In 2010 he received the IUPUI Center for Research and Learning Director—Mentoring Award for Outstanding Leadership and Mentoring of Undergraduate Research.
- HPER-P 391 Biomechanics
- HPER-P 205 Structural Kinesiology
- HPER-P 493 Tests and Measurements in Physical Education
- Research Methods in Kinesiology
- Gait Analysis
- R. Bahamonde, J. Streepey, L. Goyke, A. Myers and A. Mikesky (2014) Energy return of different shapes of track spikes—Proceedings of the 32th Conference of the International Society of Biomechanics in Sports, Tennessee, USA, 249-251.
- Velotta, J., Weyer, J. & Bahamonde, R. (2011) Relationship between leg dominance and type of task, Portoguese Journal of Sport Science, vol 11 (2), 1035-1038
- 3. Riskosky, J, Mikesky, A. Bahamonde, R. & Burr, D. (2009). Design and validation of a knee brace with feedback to reduce the rate of loading. Journal of biomechanical engineering 131(8).
- Riskosky, J, Mikesky, A. Bahamonde, R. & Burr, D. (2008) Training effect of gait monitoring knee brace with auditory feedback. Journal of Orthopeadic Research
- Bahamonde, R., DeWitt, M. & Mikesky, A. (2008) Effects of Acute Exercise on Skinfold Measurements, International Journal of Fitness 5(1), 19-24.
- Meneghini, Michael, Bahamonde, R. & Smith, S (2007) A Randomized, Prospective Study of Three MIS Surgical Approaches in THA: Comprehensive Gait Analysis, Journal of Arthroplasty, 23(6), 68-73.
- Riskowski, J.L., A.E. Mikesky, R.E. Bahamonde, T.V. Alvey III, D.B. Burr. (2006) Proprioception, gait kinematics, and rate of loading during walking: are they related? Journal of Musculoskeletal and Neuronal Interaction. 5(4): 379-387.
- Bahamonde, R. (2005) Review of the biomechanical function of the elbow joint during tennis strokes. International Sport Medicine Journal, 6(2), 42-63.
- Sport Biomechanics
- Clinical Biomechanics
- Sport Equipment testing
- 2015-present Board of Director of American Kinesiology Association-member of Diversity Committee
- 2006-2015 Sport Science Committee of the United States Tennis Association
- 2009-2011 Board of Directors of the International Society of Sports Biomechanics
- 2003 Committee member of Revision Guidelines and Standards for Undergraduate Biomechanics Classes. Biomechanics Academy of AAHPERD
- 2001-2002 Member of the executive board of the Midwest Chapters of the American College of Sports Medicine
Honors & Awards
- Inducted as Fellow of the International Society of Biomechanics in Sports-2010
- Director’s Mentoring Award for outstanding leadership and mentoring of undergraduate research at IUPUI- Center for Research and Learning, 2010
- Inducted in Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET)—Spring 2006
- US House of Representative Congressional Commendation in recognition for work with the Diversity Scholars Research Program, 2005
- Winner of the 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2008 Teaching Excellence Recognition Award from the School of Physical Education and Tourism Management
- Inducted Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, 2004
Grants & Funding
- Angermeier, L. & Bahamonde, R. (2014) Curriculum Enhancement Grant- Graduate Education, CRL. Amount: $10,000
- Burr, D. & Ward, R. IUPUI graduate preparation grant for the Biomedical and behavioral science. Bahamonde-Co-Investigator- NSF. Amount: 1,620,000: Funded
- Bahamonde, R., Angermeier, L. Culp, B & Stanton, K. (2013) Online Professional Development for Physical Education and Health Education Teachers. CTL Curriculum Enhancement Grant. Amount $12000: Funded
- Kaleth, T., Bahamonde, R., Mikesky, A., Streepey, J. & Ang, D. (2009) IUPUI Research Support Funds Grant entitled "Does Vibration training improve physical function and quality of life in fibromyalgia syndrome"; $35,000: Funded
- Streepey, J. & Bahamonde, R. (2008) Integration of Virtual Reality into a Motion Capture System for the Study of Postural Control in Children and Patients Population. Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research Institute. Center for Research and Learning. Amount Funded: $6,000
- Roberts, M, Mikesky, A. & Bahamonde, R. (2012) Koar Apparel Testing, KOAR Corporation. Funded: $40,000
- Bahamonde, R. & Streepey, J. (2011) Biomechanical Analysis of LANTZ STAT DYNE device for pronation and supination. LANTZ Corporation. Funded: $3200
- Mikesky, A. & Bahamonde, R. (2010) Biomechanics and Physiological Analysis of the RockBoard scooter. Funded: $1500
- Bahamonde, R. (2005) Gait Analysis of Patients with three kind of hip replacement surgeries. Orthopedic Research Educational Foundations & St. Vincent Hospital Joint Replacement Center. Funded: $24,000
- Bahamonde, R. (2014) Webinar: Mentoring Undergraduate Research Students, NSF Louis Stokes Midwest Center for Excellence
- Bahamonde, R. (2014) Role and Support of Faculty Mentors in an Undergraduate Research Program, NSF Louis Stokes Midwest Center for Excellence, Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Bahamonde, R & Bonds, V. (2014) How to Fund an Undergraduate Research Program: A Case Study of the IUPUI Diversity Research Scholars, NSF Louis Stokes Midwest Center for Excellence, Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Bahamonde, R., Streepey, J., Goyke, L., Myers, A. & Mikesky, A. (2014) Energy return of Different Designs of Track Spikes. IUPUI Research day 2014.
- Dilts, S., D.C. Ang, J.W. Streepey, R.E. Bahamonde, A.E. Mikesky, A.S. Kaleth. (2013). Effects of Vibration Exercise Training on Clinicial Outcomes and Muscular Strength in Patients with Fibromyalgia. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc.
- Kirkwood, K. Deer, S. Streepey, J. & Bahamonde, R. Donnay Tennis Racket Vibration testing. IUPUI research day 2013.